Monday, 13 January 2014

My Thoughts on University..


In general, I think there seems to be an accepted idea in society that university is an incredible experience, and that young people benefit from it and should make the most of every second. If you asked me last year what I thought of my uni experience, I'd say that it was the best decision of my life and that I couldn't believe I'd ever doubted whether I wanted to go.
Now? Not so much. The work last year was difficult enough, but this year has been something else... and it's only set to get more difficult with the onset of exams, more essays, and deciding on my dissertation topic. It doesn't help that I hate where I live, and feel hugely separated from the social side of university life.

Don't get me wrong, university has taught me so much: making new friends, expanding my knowledge on topics that I love, moving away from home and learning to look after myself... So obviously it hasn't totally been wasted. But I only have 8 hours a week where I'm in lectures or seminars, and some of my tutors are totally unhelpful. Not only this, but I pay £9000 in tuition fees and if I want to print something in the library, I have to pay! None of our course books are included in our fees either... what am I actually paying for? I'm going to be in £50,000 of debt when I leave, and for what? A degree, which thousands of other young people my age will have, and which doesn't really even relate to my chosen career path.

I guess I'm just trying to get these negative thoughts off my chest, so that I can move on and get this academic year finished... but mostly I'm just trying to say that if you're feeling like everyone is enjoying university except you, you're not weird, and you're not alone. It isn't all it cracked up to be. Not for me, anyway. I'm thinking that next year I might try and move back into halls, I was much happier when living on campus.

I'll be back tomorrow with a happier post, I promise!

9 comments:

  1. Reading this felt like someone had got in to my head, taken my thoughts and transferred them in to a blog post! I'm assuming you're a second year (?) which is the same as me and I know exactly how you feel. I wouldn't change the friends I've made or the experiences I've had for the world but the cost of university, especially when you spend such little time there (I do 8 hours a week too) can feel like a bit of a waste. Plus, a degree doesn't automatically guarantee you a job like it once may have and when you have no idea what you want to do, it's not really that helpful! Basically, you're not alone and I think everyone feels the way you are at some point! If you want to chat to me, feel free! You've got a great blog by the way! :) xo

    whatlizziethinksxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm a second year :) I agree with everything you've said, sometimes I really do wonder what I'm actually doing here. Thanks so much, yours is lovely too! Just followed you :) ox

      Delete
  2. Hey hunny, because I think your blog is entirely lovely I nominated & tagged you for the Liebster award!
    The questions & rules are on my blog!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou! :) Will have a look at the post xx

      Delete
  3. Sort of glad you posted this ( Not because you're having a bad time obviously) but because I'm the only one out of my friends who isn't going to university. I'd love to have the university life but I really do not care much about the degree and like you said, it's a lot of money

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, great post)))cute pics!) Would you like to follow each other? Just let me know in my blog. xoxo
    http://www.elationofcreation.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nominated you! Check out my blog! x
    http://www.catchingdreamsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I graduated from university last year and I personally loved it, although I was able to stay at home and travel to uni everyday - good luck x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting! I read them all and always try to reply xx