Thursday, 12 June 2014

Travel Chatter: Rome













As soon as the sun comes out and summer arrives, I'm desperate for a holiday. I've travelled to a few places, but going to Rome in September 2013 was my first holiday in what felt like forever. (My last holiday before that was France for 3 days with my friend in 2009... and the last time I went away with family was in 2005. I'm holiday-deprived haha)

Going to Rome was on my Bucket List, and on a whim one day my best friend Lucy and I booked some flights. That was that! A few months later we were stood in front of the Trevi fountain, hardly believing what we were seeing. The fountain is just incredible, it's so beautiful and to be honest with you, we spent the majority of our trip visiting it over and over again; (and drinking water from the little spouts on the walls). 

Our hotel was a two minute walk from the Colosseum; another must-see tourist attraction. I studied Ancient History at college and to see the ruins of the huge ampitheatre was incredible. Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are also places that I'd really recommend, just for wow factor. If you have time then go to The Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, but Lucy and I decided against it (apparently you have to be covered up, and all we had were tiny summer dresses).

It was an absolutely wonderful holiday, but I think we found it so easy as our hotel was in such a good location. Being so central allowed us to walk everywhere and enjoy the sunshine, whereas other tourists had to rely on public transport... public transport in Rome is confusing, trust me. We avoided it like the plague! We never even took a taxi.... the driving there is terrifying and from what I've heard, they really overcharge you.

And the food! Eating authentic Italian cuisine every day was a real treat and if you hunt around, you don't need to pay more than fifteen euros for a really lovely meal. For example, trying to have a meal right next to the Pantheon is going to cost you a fortune. Have a little look round the back streets and other smaller piazzas, and you may just find a little gem of a restaurant. 

Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend Rome as a city break. I had a wonderful time and would love to go back eventually, possibly with my boyfriend so I could experience some of the more romantic Italian settings.

Have you been to Rome? Did you enjoy it?

8 comments:

  1. By the sounds of it, you are a well seasoned traveller; even with the length between trips! The first country I have ever been to, is Australia, where I am now. Seeing another country of any sort is always amazing. I am a bit jealous that you have seen so much. I'm excited to see where your next adventure will take you. :P

    http://www.cuethestreetlights.blogspot.ca/



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wouldn't go that far, but I've been to some nice places in Europe! I'm very jealous that you're in Aus :) Hope you're having a lovely time! x

      Delete
  2. I went to Rome with my sister and absolutely loved it! I have to agree, I think Trevi fountain was absolutely beautiful and my favourite part! The gelato comes a close second ;)
    I wrote a blog post about it too! http://www.thewhitejournal.co.uk/2014/04/rome-travel-tips.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I forget to mention the gelato!? Definitely one of the highlights xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures and you are looking well gorgeous!! Glad you enjoyed yourself :) xx

    www.alphabeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou, that's made my day <33

      Delete
  4. I loved Rome when I visited as well! I remember when I went there was a guy who was sort of drunk and he did a backflip off one of the statues at the fountain, it was crazy. But the gelato was amazing, I don't think I've ever had such delicious ice cream before. The pictures are wonderful, it looks absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rome looks so beautiful ! I think it's definatly one of those places which you can visit and just walk !
    Eb x
    Thefearlessfox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting! I read them all and always try to reply xx