Sunday, 3 August 2014

July Reading Wrap-Up!



Hi everyone! I'm introducing something a little different to my blog today. On my YouTube channel I chat about books on Fridays (this post was supposed to go up on Friday, as was the accompanying video... oops!) and I thought you lovely lot might also like to hear about the things I've been reading.

In July I didn't get through as many books as I hoped I would, however I thoroughly enjoyed the novels I managed to finish. First of all I completed The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, which is widely considered to be a modern classic. This book follows the story of the five Lisbon sisters and their tragic demise, (this isn't a spoiler, the title is obvious!), from the viewpoint of the boys who loved them. I'm going to be reviewing this book next week so I won't go into too much detail, but I really loved the writing style and would give this book 4* out of 5.

Next, I finally got around to reading Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. This novel was truly stunning, and I completely recommend it to everyone. The story follows two white children and their father, a lawyer, who is chosen to defend a black man in court. It was eye-opening, moving, hilarious and heart-breaking in equal measure. This is honestly a superb novel and deserves 5* over and over again. If you only ever read one book, make it this one (especially if you're interested in civil rights!)

The third book I finished was The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I must admit, when I first started reading this novel I had pretty much no idea what its purpose was going to be; the writing style felt messy and unorganised, and I felt like the plot was going nowhere. When I reached the end of the novel, I finally got it and it all made sense. For that reason, I'm not going to give you any information about the story as I feel you need to go on that journey with the protagonist. Once I finally "got it", I could truly appreciate the writing for what it was and for that reason I ended up giving it 5*. 

Finally, I read The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. Oh my goodness, I adored this novel. It had me cracking up with laughter and then crying in sympathy for the characters, which for me is the sign of a very successful piece of writing. The novel tells the story of Pat, who is a man trying to adapt to life outside a psychiatric hospital. It's absolutely brilliant and again, I gave it 5*. (The film is great too, so I'd recommend watching that after reading the book!)

Sorry if that was a little wordy! If you're more of a "watch and listen" sort of person then feel free to watch the corresponding video on my YouTube channel, which I've popped below. I will be reviewing The Virgin Suicides, The Catcher in the Rye and The Silver Linings Playbook next Friday, so keep an eye out for that if you'd like to hear more of my thoughts in detail.


I hope you're having a wonderful day! 

8 comments:

  1. I love this series its a great idea especially as a great lover of reading myself! especially would like to read silver linings playbook as I loved the film and the story is very clever!x

    curlsandcometsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Virgin Suicides but, oh God, I have so much hatred for Catcher in the Rye! It drove me insane. Holden needs to man up and get over himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think the ending of the novel shows that his way of thinking has something more to do with his mental health, so I never felt like he should "man up" because obviously it's not that simple... although when I first started reading it I couldn't get my head round his viewpoint at all! It wasn't until the end that I finally understood why he was the way he was x

      Delete
  3. My cousin recommended me to read The Silver Linings Playbook and seeing you and a few others say how good it is I'm definitely going to add that to my TBR list! :).

    www.clarasmindx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's brilliant, so glad I read it :) x

      Delete
  4. Oooh these all look great! Must read them :') i've just started to kill a mockingbird and can't wait to get into it! xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! I'm sure you'll love it x

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting! I read them all and always try to reply xx