Friday, 5 September 2014

Beautiful Books?


Hello everyone!

So it's no secret that I absolutely love books... if you've spent five minutes on this page/my YouTube channel then that much is obvious! A few years ago I had around 500/600 books, and things were getting a little out of hand as I had no storage space. As a result, I gave the majority away and kept just 150 favourites. Only 150! Fast forward a year or so and I regretted that decision so badly. 

As a result, I've been trying to build my collection back up, and I've been purchasing books that I previously read and loved, but no longer had a copy of. Particularly, I've been buying beautiful editions of classic literature; and oh my goodness, there are some beautiful books about. 

I want to use this post to celebrate Penguin Publishing in particular, because some of the collections they've released have absolutely stunned me into beautiful-book-induced silence. If you want to find a publishers that churns out the most gorgeous of classic covers, look no further than Penguin! 

The copy of Lolita you can see above, comes from the Penguin Essentials collection; a range of much-loved novels released in beautiful new covers, in mass-market paperback form. I must admit, I'm not a fan of mass-market paperbacks, but I had to have this copy of Lolita as it was just too beautiful.

The stunning edition of Middlemarch by George Eliot comes from the Penguin Clothbound classics, a collection that I want every, single, book from. Unfortunately I'm a student on a student budget, so until I come into some money I'll have to be satisfied with just this one. The books are hardback but as the name suggests, they're bound in cloth, and printed with beautiful images that relate in some way to the story.

Probably my favourite Penguin collection are the Penguin Threads books. My boyfriend bought me this copy of The Wizard of Oz for my birthday, and I actually cried a little bit! (He also bought me the copies of Lolita and Pride and Prejudice) The books are just breath-taking, honestly. (Well, they are if you're a book freak lover like me!) They're paperbacks, but come complete with French flaps, and the covers are printed to look as if they've been completely hand-sewn. The deckled edges add to the "hand made" effect and ohhhh my, I'm in love with these books. So much so, that I actually went online immediately and ordered four more of the books in the collection, which I'm anxiously waiting for.

I don't have any to hand just yet, but other favourite collections of mine (from Penguin of course) are the Penguin Ink, Deluxe Classics, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Drop Caps editions. *Swoon*. Go and google them. Seriously.

The last book I want to share with you today is that gorgeous copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It's from the Word Cloud Classics (faux) leatherbound collection, and they're created by a publisher in Australia I believe. They feel absolutely amazing to hold and read, and they're complete with stunning end papers. 

So there you have it! Some of my favourite beautiful books that I currently own. I've rambled on today but if you'd like to see the books "in the flesh", I also filmed a video:



Have a great day!

PS, between you and me, Puffin are releasing some BEAUTIFUL books in October/November, eeeek!

2 comments:

  1. I am so possessive of my books. I could never, ever throw them away! I think I have about 220, which is nothing on your collection haha! Pretty books are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh I couldn't bear to throw them away! They were all given to friends or donated xx

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting! I read them all and always try to reply xx