Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Starting up Scrapbooking | Tips & Tricks!


Hello everyone!

Today's post is one that has been requested so, many, times! You will probably know by now that I do a lot of scrapbooking; it's a great love of mine and something that has always been popular on my YouTube channel in particular. One of the most common questions that I get on a daily basis is: "Can you do a video on starting up scrapbooking? What supplies shall I get? Where shall I buy from?" I always thought it would be quite a difficult video to film and as I mention my favourite brands/companies a lot anyway, I never saw the point in worrying myself over a video. 

However, recently the question is being asked more and more, and so I decided to just bite the bullet and film a quick, simple video on it.

My Tips & Tricks for Starting up Scrapbooking:

  1. Decide on your scrapbook album: This is important, as the size of album you choose will dictate which supplies you buy. For example, if you want to use a 12x12 album, you will most likely need to purchase 12x12 scrapbook paper. If you pick a journal such as a La de Dah or Smashbook, you could focus more on other embellishments, as the paper in those journals is gorgeous as it is. I personally prefer 12x12 D-ring albums as I mainly do Project Life scrapbooking, however I do use La de Dah journals as mini albums and also purchased a teeny tiny 4x4 Instagram album recently.
  2. Pick your embellishments: As I say in the video, there are so many embellishments available that I just can't go into them all. Instead, I put together a little list of my personal must-haves, which are: 6x6 patterned paper pads (they have SO many uses), a corner-rounder (does just what you think, it rounds the corners of paper... I love mine!), journalling cards (again, thousands of uses!) and washi tape (patterned, coloured tape... need I say more?!) These are my personal favourites, as I feel you could put together a decent layout with just those staple items. Obviously, you'll see from my scrapbooks that I LOVE detailed pages, and other favourite embellishments are wood veneer, ephemera packs and flair badges. Letter stickers are also an absolute favourite.
  3. Find inspiration: People often ask me where I find inspiration for my scrapbooks, and to be honest I just throw together bits and pieces that I think look nice. Whenever I try to "scrap-lift" (copy, basically) someone else's layout, it never ends well and I prefer to come up with my own ideas... however, the Two Peas in a Bucket YouTube channel opened my eyes to whole new ranges of beautiful scrapbooking products and fabulous ideas, and though they don't upload any more the channel is worth looking at. Pinterest is also fab too, as always! 
  4. Find your favourite retailer!: Finally, the fun part! Buying stuff! Viewers always ask me where to buy scrappy supplies, and my favourite online retailers are Hey Little Magpie, and Papermaze. Amazon and HobbyCraft are handy for finding random bargains, as well.
So there we have it! I hope this post is helpful, and that it inspires some of you/answers your questions! If you'd rather listen to everything I just said rather than read it, here's the video:



Have a good day!

6 comments:

  1. This is so helpful! I've been thinking of making a scrapbook to document my time in Florida but didn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you really should! I've got several videos up on my YouTube channel that you might find helpful xx

      Delete
  2. I love this post, I keep a journal rather than a scrapbook but I would definitely be interested in starting up a scrapbook and this post is so helpful!
    xxx

    Hannahcoroner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I started scrapbooking, I'd always had a journal and gradually transitioned over to doing both! Glad you enjoyed the post :D xxx

      Delete
  3. I wish i had started a kit when I first began, to save money! but it also gives you the oppurtunity to know wh you like/dont like.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting! I read them all and always try to reply xx